Thursday, June 14, 2012
Recipe serves 3-4
1 cup whole black urad dal
1 tablespoon red kidney beans (rajma)
Salt to taste
2 tablespoons butter
1 teaspoon whole cumin
pinch of asafoetida (hing)
1 tablespoon garlic & ginger paste each
1/2 tablespoon green chilli paste
1/4th onion, 2 tomatoes- finely chopped
pinch of turmeric, 1/2 tablespoon red chilli powder, 1/2 tablespoon coriander cumin powder, pinch of garam masala
1 cup heavy cream
1. Soak 1 cup black urad dal & 1 tablespoon rajma in 4 cups water overnight.
2. Add the dal & rajma to a saucepan, add 1.5 teaspoons salt, cook till beans/dal mashes easily when pressed between the thumb & first finger. If you are cooking in a pressure cooker, cook to 4 whistles. Let cooker cool completely.
3. For seasoning, add 2 tablespoons butter or ghee in a saucepan. Once it is hot, add 1 teaspoon cumin, pinch of hing (asafoetida). Add 1 tablespoon garlic paste, 1 tablespoon ginger paste, 1/2 tablespoon green chilli paste. Saute on low flame for 2 mins.
4. Add 1/4th white onion (finely chopped), add less than 1/2 teaspoon salt. On medium flame, cook onions till they are translucent.
5. Add 2 tomatoes (finely chopped), add less than 1/2 teaspoon salt. Cook till butter starts floating on top of tomatoes, about 5 mins.
6. Add pinch of turmeric, 1/2 tablespoon red chilli powder, 1/2 tablespoon coriander cumin powder, pinch of garam masala. Reduce flame to low & saute for 2 mins.
7. Add boiled dal with all the water in it. You can add little more water at this time if you want more gravy. Mix & check for salt & spices. Adjust according to taste. Simmer the dal on 4/10 flame till you see butter floating on top (10-15 mins) Mix every 5 mins to ensure that the beans/dal do not stick or gather in the pan.
8. Add 1 cup heavy whipping cream, mix well & simmer on very low flame for another 5 mins
Serve hot with naan, kulcha or rice.
Prepare and enjoy !!!
Posted by falguni at 2:02 PM