Sunday, June 17, 2012
BLACK EYED BEANS SABZI
Recipe serves 3-4
1 cup Black eyes Beans
Salt to taste
2 tablespoons butter
1 teaspoon cumin
pinch of asafoetida
1 tablespoon garlic paste, 1 tablespoon ginger paste, 1/2 tablespoon green chilli paste
1/4th onion, 2 tomatoes - finely chopped
pinch of turmeric, 1/2 tablespoon red chilli powder, 1/2 tablespoon coriander cumin powder (dhaniajeera powder), pinch of garam masala
1/2 tablespoon lime/lemon juice (optional)
1. Add 4 cups water to 1 cup beans. Add 1.5 teaspoons salt & mix well. Pressure cook for 4 whistles. Let cooker cool completely.
2. For seasoning, add 2 tablespoons butter or ghee in a saucepan. Once it is hot, add 1 teaspoon cumin, pinch of hing (asafoetida). Add 1 tablespoon garlic paste, 1 tablespoon ginger paste, 1/2 tablespoon green chilli paste. Saute on low flame for 2 mins.
3. Add 1/4th white onion (finely chopped), add less than 1/2 teaspoon salt. On medium flame, cook onions till they are translucent.
4. Add 2 tomatoes (finely chopped), add less than 1/2 teaspoon salt. Cook till butter starts floating on top of tomatoes, about 5 mins.
5. Add pinch of turmeric, 1/2 tablespoon red chilli powder, 1/2 tablespoon coriander cumin powder, pinch of garam masala. Reduce flame to low & saute for 2 mins.
6. Add boiled beans with all the water in it. You can add little more water at this time if you want more gravy. Mix & check for salt & spices. Adjust according to taste. Simmer the beans on 4/10 flame till you see butter floating on top (10-15 mins) Mix every 5 mins to ensure that the beans do not stick or gather in the pan.
7. You may add 1/2 tablespoon lime/lemon juice for an even more tangy taste.
Serve hot with any Indian bread or rice.
Prepare & enjoy !!!
Posted by falguni at 6:18 AM