Thursday, October 14, 2010
RECIPES SERVES 4-5
FOR THE OUTER COVER/WRAP : Readymade Flour Tortilla pack - the biggest size flour tortilla that you can find in the grocery store
FOR THE FILLING : Cilantro Lime Rice, Pinto or Black Beans, Mild Salsa, Medium Salsa, Hot Salsa, Pan fried Red Onions & Capsicum, Corn, Lettuce leaves, green mango pieces, shredded cheese, guacamole
1. COOK CILANTRO LIME RICE : In a pressure cooker pan, add 1 cup Rice, 2 cups water, 1 teaspoon Salt, 1 teaspoon ghee or butter, 1 teaspoon lime juice, mix. Close pan lid, cook to 2 whistles. Cool completely.
After cooker has cooled down, open, add 1/2 cup fresh cilantro cut very fine to the rice, fluff the rice with a fork and mix.
2. COOK BEANS : Soak 1 cup Pinto or Black Beans in 3 cups water for 1 hour.
After 1 hour, prepare for the Tadka/vaghaar. In a pressure cooker pan, add 2 teaspoons oil, 1/4 teaspoon jeera, 1/8 teaspoon hing, add the beans and all the water that it is soaked in the pan.
Cut 1/4 cup red onion, 1 tomato and add to the beans.
Add 1 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon haldi, 2 teaspoons Pav Bhaji Masala, 2 teaspoons Red Chilli powder, mix. Close cooker lid. Cook to 4 whistles. Let cooker cool completely.
3. MAKE MILD SALSA : Cut 1/4 cup red onion, 1 tomato - sprinkle salt & a tablespoon of fresh cut cilantro, mix and set aside
4. MAKE MEDIUM SALSA: Cut 1/4 cup onion, 1 tomato, sprinkle salt, red chilli powder & a tablespoon of fresh cut cilantro, mix and set aside
5. MAKE HOT SALSA: In a saucepan, add 24 dry red chillies & just enough water to soak the dry red chillies. Switch on the gas and heat the water till it boils. Switch off the gas & let the dry red chillies soften in the hot water for about 1/2 hour. Then add them to a blender jar and blend the red chillies.
In a saucepan, add 1 teaspoon oil, add 1 can Thick Tomato Puree (2 cups). Add the red chillies paste, 1.5 teaspoons salt, 1/3 cup white vinegar. Boil it once, reduce flame to 3/10 setting, simmer for 20 minutes. Cool completely.
6. PAN FRY RED ONIONS & CAPSICUM: Cut 1 red onion and 1 capsicum in thin long slices. Keep a teaspoon of oil in a saute pan, heat it and then add the onions and capsicum. Sprinkle 2 pinches of salt, mix. Set flame to 7/10 setting and brown the onions & capsicum for 2-3 minutes till they partially cook & yet are crisp to the bite. Transfer them in a bowl & set aside.
7. MAKE GUACAMOLE: Mash 1 avacado, add 1/4 cup red onion, 1 tomato, salt to taste, lime juice to taste. Mix & set aside.
8. Place 1/2 cup corn to a bowl. Cut 1/2 cup lettuce leaves in very fine ribbons, place in a bowl. Place 1/2 cup finely shredded cheese in a bowl. Cut 1/4 green mango in very fine pieces, transfer to a bowl.
TO ASSEMBLE BURRITO
Heat the flat pan in which we make chapatis on 6/10 flame setting. Once it is hot, add a flour tortilla. With a dry kitchen towel, cook tortilla on both sides.
Place on a big serving plate. Add about 1/2 cup Cilantro Lime Rice in the center. Top with a big spoonful of beans. Add mild, medium & hot salsa to taste (about a tablespoon of each is enough)
Then add pan fried onions, capsicum to taste, a tablespoon guacamole, sprinkle corn, green mango pieces, lettuce leaves & shredded cheese.
Fold the tortilla from the shorter sides towards the center first. Then fold the longer sides towards the center.
Serve with chilled Cola.
Since all the ingredients are fresh, this can be pre-prepared & stored in the refrigerator (except rice & beans) Hence this also makes a good make ahead dish when you are expecting guests. With the rice, beans & veggies it is a full meal in itself.
Store bought Taco Shells - Add all the above ingredients just about a tablespoon of each. (with very less Spicy Salsa)
All the Burrito leftovers can be stored in the refrigerator & can be served in Taco Shells the next day as a side dish with the meal.
Prepare & enjoy !!!
Posted by falguni at 9:37 AM