Thursday, September 16, 2010
RECIPE MAKES 35 DIAMOND SHAPE PIECES OR 35 LADDOOS
3 cups Besan flour
3.5 cups Melted Butter or ghee
4 cups Sugar ( Grind the sugar if you are using sugar crystals)
1/4 teaspoon elaichi powder
1/8 teaspoon nutmeg powder
thin sliced 20 pistas & 20 almonds
1. Add 1/2 cup warm melted ghee to Besan flour. Mix with a spoon & set aside for 15 minutes.
2. After 5 minutes, keep the rest of butter or ghee on 3/10 flame & let it heat for the next 10 minutes (till it is hot) A pan that is much flatter with a big base & about 2" height as edges will work best for stirring than a taller saucepan. I prefer to use a non stick saute pan for this.
3. Add the besan flour and keep stirring for 15 minutes non-stop on 3/10 flame till besan turns slightly pink & there is fragrant aroma of roasted besan.
4. Switch off the gas after 15 minutes, shift the pan on a cold surface. Add 1/4 teaspoon elaichi powder, 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg powder& keep stirring the mixture for 5 minutes.
5. Cool for 20 minutes.
6. Add 4 cups sugar & mix well.
7. Grease a 12" edged plate with 1 tablespoon melted ghee. Add the magaz mixture & flatten as much as you can with a spatula. Then take a flat based steel vati (bowl) & gently rub on the surface on the magaz till you get a nice smooth finish.
Mix the sliced almonds & pistas. Garnish the magaz with this mixture.
8. Let the magaz cool completely for 3-4 hours. Cut in diamond shapes.
Insert a sharp edged spatula across the lines that are cut & separate the magaz pieces.
After step 6, you can add the pista almond slices in the magaz, mix well & form laddoos.
Store in an airtight container at room temperature.
Prepare & enjoy !!!
Posted by falguni at 6:58 PM