Friday, March 19, 2010
Steamed Basmati rice with your choice of fresh vegetables ... fast to cook, healthy, wholesome ..
I had prepared this Rice for dinner yesterday, sharing the recipe with you'll ..
Cook Rice separately for this recipe. In a pressure cooker or Rice Cooker, add
1.5 cups Basmati Rice
3.5 cups water
1 tablespoon lime juice
2-3 teaspoons salt (salt enough for the rice)
1 teaspoon ghee
1 teaspoon jeera
Cook to 2 whistles in the pressure cooker. After pressure cooker cools down, remove the lid & let rice cool down to normal room temperature.
VEGETABLES FOR VAGHAAR (you can add any 4-5 vegetables of your choice)
1 small potato (cut in cubes)
1 carrot (cut in cubes)
1 capsicum (cut in cubes)
1 cup cauliflower florets
1 cup frozen or fresh peas
1. Keep 2 tablespoons ghee/oil for vaghaar
2. Add jeera, pinch of hing
3. Add 1/2 tablespoon each of garlic, ginger & green chilli paste. Stir this well in hot oil.
4. Add all the vegetables listed above + 1/4 cup water, 2-3 teaspoons salt enough for the vegetables, 2 teaspoons red chilli powder, cover the pan with a lid.
On less than medium flame, let all the vegetables cook for 10-15 mins. Open & stir once after 5-7 minutes.
5. Once vegetables are cooked completely, remove the lid & stir so water, if any evaporates.
If you want to serve immediately, you can add rice. If you want to serve after few hours, mix rice before serving.
6. With a big spoon, separate all the rice grains till rice is separated & fluffy.
7. Add rice to the vegetables, add 1/2 tablespoon red chilli powder, 1/2 tablespoon Pav Bhaaji Masala & mix well.
8. Serve Masala Rice immediately with chilled yogurt or your choice of dal/any gravy.
VARIATION : Vegetable combination of green onions, onion, cabbage, capsicum, corn makes Masala Fried Rice - you can add Soy Sauce to this recipe
Prepare & enjoy !!!
Posted by falguni at 10:11 AM