Thursday, March 18, 2010
SPICY TADKAA DAL (Serves 3)
You can use any combination of 3-5 dals that are most frequently prepared in your home. Since Gujjus are addicted to Toovar dal, I use it for most Dal recipes.
1/2 cup Moong dal (without skin, split)
1/2 cup Toovar dal
2 tablespoons Chana dal
Butter/ghee/oil for vaghaar
1 teaspooon Cumin seeds
some curry leaves
2 dry red chillies, cut in 2
pinch of Hing
1 small onion finely chopped
2 tomatoes finely chopped
1 tablespoon garlic paste
1 tablespoon ginger paste
1 tablespoon green chilli paste or green chilli pieces
1/2 tablespoon red chilli powder
3 tablespoons lime juice
salt to taste
fresh cut cilantro/dhania for garnishing
1. Soak the 3 dals in 4 cups of water for 30 minutes. Add about 3 teaspoons of salt & 1 tablespoon oil. You can pressure cook the dals in a cooker to 1 siti. Or cook it open in a non-stick pan on medium heat till dals are cooked completely. Or you can cook them in a Rice Cooker.
2. Vaghaar - About 4 tablespoons melted butter/ghee/oil. Once it is heated, add cumin seeds, some curry leaves, 2 dry red chillies, pinch of hing
3. Add finely chopped onions, some salt, cook on medium flame till onions are golden brown.
4. Add finely chopped tomatoes, some salt, cook on medium flame till coooked.
5. Add 1 tablespoon garlic paste, 1 tablespoon ginger paste, 1 tablespoon green chilli paste or green chilli pieces & blend in the gravy on low flame for 3-4 minutes, keep mixing.
6. Add cooked dal, additional water according to consistency needed (you might need to add another cup or two), mix well.
7. Check salt & adjust to taste, little turmeric, 1/2 tablespoon red chilli powder, 3 tablespoons lime juice, mix well
8. Let Dal & spices cook on low flame for 5-7 mins.
9. Add fresh cut cilantro/dhania for garnishing. Serve hot with Naan, Kulcha or Rice recipes.
Posted by falguni at 1:20 PM