Thursday, March 18, 2010
Gujarati's Trademark Methi na Theplas ... simple anytime snack or as a part of lunch/dinner, healthy, delicious & wholesome ...
RECIPE MAKES 18 THEPLAS
5 cups Whole Wheat flour
2.5 cups cleaned, chopped, washed Fresh methi leaves OR 1.5 cup Dry Methi leaves (Kasuri Methi) soaked in water for half an hour before mixing in the dough
( Methi leaves - fresh or dry have very fine sand particles, so make sure to clean the methi very well in running water 3-4 times before mixing in the dough )
1/2 cup oil
1/4 cup dahi
1 cup water
5 teaspoons (tsp) salt (or salt to taste)
1/2 tsp haldi
4 tsps red chilli powder
3 tsps sesame seeds (teel)
2 tablespoons garlic paste
2 tablespoons green chilli paste
1 tablespoon ginger paste
1 tablespoon sugar
1. In a big bowl, mix all the above dry ingredients & oil (except dahi & water)
2. After all the dry ingredients are mixed properly, add 1/4 cup dahi & 1 cup water, knead the dough for 4-5 minutes.
3. If you feel dough is slightly sticky, apply little oil on your hands, sprinkle some dry whole wheat powder on the dough & continue kneading for another 2-3 minutes.
4. Apply oil all over the dough & keep covered for 30 minutes. (You can also prepare the dough in the evening, store it in an airtight container in the fridge overnight & make fresh theplas in the morning)
5. Make 18 equal portions & roll into round theplas (like we roll chapatis)
6. Heat a non-stick flat pan (tavi) on little more than medium heat, cook on one side till bubbles appear.
Flip on the other side, apply 2 tsps oil on the top side, flip, pan fry.
Flip on the other side, let it absorb the oil on the pan & remove.
7. Repeat for all the theplas.
Place a newspaper sheet on the counter & spread the theplas on the sheet till they cool down. Then stack them & store in an airtight box - stays good for 2-3 days.
Great anytime snack, apply chunda on the thepla, roll like a frankie & a quick snack for kids is ready.
Goes well with any lunch/dinner meal.
Makes a delicious picnic treat as they can be made in advance & enjoyed later - equally preferred while travelling.
Serve Theplas with Mango chunda / pickles / fried green chillies / chilled yogurt / any sabzi.
Prepare & enjoy !!!
Posted by falguni at 1:18 PM